Thursday, March 24, 2011

Never tell me the odds!

Not long ago, I watched The Empire Strikes Back for the gazillionth time, and in that famous movie we learn what the odds are to successfully navigate through an asteroid field.

This lead me to think: what are the odds that a first time novelist will get published? So I went looking. Google is my friend, and I was not disappointed to learn that others asked this very question long before me.

What did disappoint was the answer.

The odds are about 1000 to 1.

I was a bit sad at that. But, hey, my book is different, right? I'll be an exception, right? Right?

Hell if I know. Still working, still writing, still hoping that 1000:1 is not a barrier. Ugh. Could be worse, though, the lottery odds are over 180 million to one, so by comparison this is a walk in the park.

Yeah, sure it is. I keep trying to remind myself of that. Perspective, my dear, it's all a matter of perspective and I am trying to remain positive.

Which leads me to my next thought: how many agent failures should I accept before I say "well, screw it," and go with "Plan Z"?

Don't have an answer for that one. I know that Chicken Soup for the Soul,  by Jack Canfeld and Mark Victor Hansen, had 140 rejection letters before it hit home.

I have a long way to go before I get to that level of rejection. So, in comparison, I'm a head of the curve!

Yay for being positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment