Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why I started writing in the first place

Why? Well, that's easy, and the story is pretty normal, really.

One day, while I was at work, my wife (then girlfriend), Tammy, indicated that she was bored. There was nothing in the house to do, and she was out of books to read. (Tammy, if you didn't know, is a voracious reader, and can plow through a thick novel in very little time.)

So I thought up quick something for her to read and I posted it on my Facebook. This became chapter 1 of Memories of the Dead. Interesting side note: as soon as I finished chapter 1, I knew the entire story. It just all popped into my head. I knew the characters, the setting, the major events, and the ending. It all flooded into place. Weird. Don't know why or how that happened, but I'll take it.

I guess my crazy imagination all finally paid off?

So, there was chapter 1. The book (and I had no idea how long it would take to finish the tale) didn't even have a name, it was just called "Short Story" for the longest time. If you're on my friends list, go back in my Notes and see. As a matter of fact, even after I gave the story a name I still referred to it as "Short Story" up until the very end.

Each week, usually on a Tuesday or a Thursday, and don't ask me why that was the case--it just worked out that way--I would post a new part: a new chapter. Now, there were times there when I was busy with work, out of town or whatever, and I couldn't post anything. But on average once a week I posted about a thousand words.

Approximately thirteen months later, forty-six chapters/parts had been posted, and more than one person thought the story was pretty nifty. That's when one of them asked me "Are you going to get this published?"

I was sort of put off by that. I didn't initially know how to respond.

"I don't know. Is it worth it?" That's the kind of thing I said--honestly, I don't recall my exact reply--and the response was that I should try.

Ok, I thought. I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment