Monday, April 4, 2011

That damn query

Everyone admits it, that your query has to "grab 'em!" but nobody really knows what that entails because each agent is different, and one agent that likes your query is not the same as another who might think your query sucks proverbial ass. What to do?

Periodic changes and updates. In the 60 agents I've queried, I've changed my query 3 times (about one change every 20 agents.) Yes, I've gotten a couple of positive remarks (thank you very much!), but that still is a long-ass way from "I want to see the whole manuscript, if you please," which is where I am trying to get.

It's maddening. Really. My synopsis is pretty good, the story is relatively solid (I think), but it's that damn query--3 to 4 paragraphs that are designed to sell the tale--that's the hard part. Ugh. Not fun. Not fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment