Monday, July 18, 2011

Joe is right on the money & other business

Joe Konrath's blog is right on the money. The reason I say this is because his research and math is correct. Yes, I'd much rather have my book in print by one of the big publishing houses; however, I am also not in disagreement with the ebook is here to stay point of view he's been espousing for quite a while now.

So, I'm going to let you all in on a secret: if my Plan A falls through--and it looks like it will--there's Plan B...which I have never mentioned exactly what that is, other than it comes in before Plan Z.

Let me clarify:

  • Plan A = Regular ol' publishing, from a regular ol' methodology (i.e.: query the agent, get signed, etc.)
  • Plan B = Direct submission to a couple of "big deal" publishing houses I know that accept direct submissions
  • Plan Z = Amazon Kindle/Barnes & Noble Nook -- electronically self-publish

Those are the plans and until August 10, I am on Plan A. August 11 is "day one" of Plan B. Plan B remains in effect until I hear back from them all saying "No thanks, bro." Then it's Plan Z and call it the end of the road for Memories of the Dead, which is languishing in the "good, but not good enough" category, apparently.

So, based on the direction I'm receiving, it is looking highly likely that Plan Z is coming on the horizon faster than three winged demons running from a tidal wave of holy water.

And I'm OK with that. I'm OK with it because, for me, the most important thing is not being able to say "I'm a published author!" Rather it's the fact that someone other than the very close group of people I trust have had a chance to read my book--and hopefully enjoy it. I'm not in this for the money or fame, because I know there isn't any; I'm in this because I have a story and I think you might like it, and I hope you'll read it.

When others read my work, I can only hope that they see in it something of value. Something that resonates with them. Something special.

Because, I'll be OK with that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment