Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rejections

Read this.

Now tell me, those that approached agents...who was in "the wrong?" Clearly, the agents--that can only be the real answer.

Next, I ask you: what the heck is up with that?

What's up with that, my friends, is simple: agents aren't the be-all-end-all of writing. They only know what they like, not what a ton of readers will like--just them. What does that mean? It means that there needs to be MORE agents, not less. More agencies mean more agents, which in turn means more writers finding the audience they rightly deserve. Which means you and I, as the ultimate consumer, have a far broader selection of novels to read when we head to the corner bookstore.

Agents often act as "the gatekeeper," but keep in mind, the gatekeeper is not the Lord of the Mansion, nor does he necessarily speak for the Lord...and just as often the gatekeeper is just plain not right at all.

They're an opinion--hopefully an educated one--but an opinion none-the-less. Take their rejections in stride as nothing more than "whatever, you just lost, not me," and go to the next agent. That's how you "win."

Now, I had a maximum number I was willing to query, and that number was 100. I hit that target a while ago, and on August 10, 2011, it will have been eight weeks since my last query. If I do not hear back from those agents by that time...game over for them; and as I said in an earlier post, I will move on to direct submissions. My (perhaps in vain) hope is that direct submission to the couple of companies I know of that accept them will be more prosperous. We'll see.

But take this lesson from this: the greats are great, and the agents are just agents; and nobody's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment