Thursday, October 27, 2011

How I want to write

I know how I want to write: I want to write the way Steven Spielberg directs a film. With that very same level of gravitas, importance, scope, and wonder. That's what I want. I want to write something so bold, eloquent, intelligent, and at the same time fun, that people generations from now will look back and say, "That Phil Hall guy? Remember him? Yeah, the dude that wrote that thing! Man, they don't write like that anymore!"

The question I have is: is it in me? Am I able to perform at that level?

Honestly, I don't know. I hope so, but then again, every writer (hopeful or those that have a measure of success) all want to blow you out of your socks with something new and fresh. I'm not new there.

Recently, little snippet ideas pop into my head, I think about writing them, and then I don't. Not because the idea "sucks," but because it's not "new."

I have two goals for the new year: (1) finish MINIMAL; and (2) write something really new. But I fear that as likely #1 is to succeed, #2 is just as likely to fail--have all the ideas been already written? I sure hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment