Monday, October 17, 2011

Writing like...

There's a post floating about the Internet on how to write like Douglas Adams, of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fame. And I almost read it.

Almost.

I was about to click on the link, so as to "steal" what info I could, and then I stopped. I stopped because a little voice in my head said something to the effect of, "You don't want to write like Adams, no matter how awesome he is (and he is). You want to write like you."

I thought about that for a moment and realized that it was true: Although I love his writing, I want to be me, not a ripoff of Douglas Adams. And while I'm sure that I could have learned something neato from the article, at what cost would it be? Would I, accidentally or otherwise, emulate (in poor fashion, I'm sure) his style somehow--or work it into my writing at a subconscious level--and thereby taint what ever it is I might touch?

I'd rather not. So I stopped and didn't click the link.

Such are the things that pop into my head. Such is the horror of wanting to be me and find my own voice that I'm absolutely willing to forgo some "easy" info in the name of "being me."

I wonder if I really am crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment