Monday, November 28, 2011

I am a sappy SOB

I'm the only guy I know who when he watches certain--to be left nameless--Christmas movies on TV ends up weeping like a schoolboy. Don't tell anyone, I'll have to forfeit my "man card"; but that just goes to show you that emotion in a story can be easily transferred to the reader when good words are well chosen and the tale is painted with the brush in living color. A certain book, also to be nameless, does the same thing.

When a story is that engrossing, you know it's food for your brain--it's good stuff. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get that right once on paper, and people will be just as enthralled. If I'm really lucky, that is. It's no mean feat. I can count on one finger the number of books that have done it to me; and I bet you can count that certain few as well. When someone writes that well, it goes beyond--it transcends--and becomes something more.

So, in the New Year that rapidly approaches, here is my wish for all my writer friends (and myself, if I can be a little selfish): let us all be so lucky as to write classics filled with emotional depth and care; and may we prove worthy of it once the pen ceases.

No comments:

Post a Comment