Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Writer's Groups

One of the absolute best pieces of advice I (or anyone who writes, really) have been given is to find and join a local writer's group or workshop.

The sheer scale, they'll tell you, of the input you're going to receive is amazing. You'll have new friends, confidants, idea partners, you name it.

Fabulous, I thought. And I began looking for one, and much to my chagrin, I learned that there are groups local, but they're "private," meaning "me and my three friends, and you're not allowed in, sorry."

It's sad, I live in a city with a large BIG10 school, and we have famous author alum, yet the number of writing groups is zero that I can join. It's sort of ridiculous, and I'd laugh if it weren't so utterly stupid.

So, as I said once before: writing is indeed solitary. There's you and your words and nothing more.

Sad, I know, as I did actually try to find a group--I spent months searching, and came up empty.

I do hope you're luckier than I; meanwhile, I plod on, doing my thing, and hoping that, someday, I'll write something amazing, something special, and it will be consumed by the masses to enjoy.

That day, I think, will make it all worth while.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously - there are NO writers' groups? That's awful! Don't give up though, there are online groups - it's not the same, I know, but it can still help you get awesome feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Zero. The ones I did locate were either private (as I said) or defunct... Ugh. Terrible.

    ReplyDelete