Thursday, May 31, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction - Orange

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This entry is the word "Orange." Hearing the word, the first thing I thought of was the harvest moon; but then immediately wondered, what's going on under that moon? This is the result. A much happier story than last week's entry!

***

Above them hung the harvest moon, bathing the night in its not-yellow, not-red glory, hanging like the greatest low-lying fruit in an orchard.

Beneath them their blanket rest on the newly cut grasses that filled their lungs with the sweet smell of late summer as a warm breeze from the West flowed over their entwined bodies.

Drawn into him, his warmth beckoning for more, she leaned to his ear and whispered, "I'm pregnant."

In the dim light he held her close and smiled; but she could not see the tears that formed and raced down his cheek.

Two hearts, shared joy.

18 comments:

  1. I could really feel the warm western breeze and the scratchiness of the blanket...and the news...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very romantic. http://jemcogdell.blogspot.com/2012/05/fsf-bozo.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and tender ...The line: ...'their blanket rest on the newly cut grasses that filled their lungs with the sweet smell.. Ohhhh.. this took me right back to my childhood when I used to lie on my blanket on the newly cut grasses and inhaled that same sweet smell. Thank you for bringing back that pleasant memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely subtlety in the use of the prompt. And yes, that sweet smell of newly-cut grass. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! :) I really have fun with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another love for the smell of newly cut grass. Very sweet piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very romantic!
    You've created the "ideal moment" - great atmosphere and perfect timing for such an announcement...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The warmth, the love, the glorious news, and my favorite kind of tears: those shed by a tender-hearted man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your very kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfectly lovely! Left me warm and smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tons of fun with these, Lillie, I hope to continue with them for a long time.

      Delete
  12. This made my heart melt into a million ooey gooey pieces! I loved the way you described the moon as well as the freshly cut grass. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! I'm very glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  13. Really nice take on the prompt, Phil, with nice sensory detail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite part was the way you danced around the color at the beginning, then suggested a comparison to the fruit, again without mentioning the name. Well done!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete