Thursday, June 21, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Faeries

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, the chosen word is "Faeries." Now, I don't know a ton about them, even though they are my wife's favorite mythical being, so this might be hard for me, as I have to please her as well. Enjoy!

***

Fireflies are not the only thing children might catch in the waxing twilight.

Sometimes, if you are careful you can see them, the faeries, as they loft their tiny lanterns so they might find their way home.

In the meadows and fields, far from our cities, is where you will most likely find them as they flit here and there in the dark, guided by the glow of their lamps, as they look for the tell-tale signs of their own homes in the fungal rings that often surround the ancient oak trees.

There, protected against the predations of Man, they weave wonders in the night that we find in the coming morn, for they are the mist-forgers and fog-tamers who bring down the waters of the sky--much to our delight and wonder.

So, not all that is a-glitter in the dark, as with everything in our world, is quite what it seems.

26 comments:

  1. Very sweet! I will educate you more on faeries later. But I like your five sentences. Thanks for a little sunshine where there was rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! You say you don't know a lot about faeries, but you've created a very convincing piece here. And really, aren't faeries whatever we imagine them to be? Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So, not all that is a-glitter in the dark, as with everything in our world, is quite what it seems."

    So very true. Nice writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful magic this piece had about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your fourth sentence 'the mist-forgers and fog-tamers who bring down the waters of the sky' absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, Phil! Beautiful descriptions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful details! I loved how you ended the piece. So very true. Wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil, you have a wonderful way with words... I love the images you've crafted! I don't know much about faeries either, so I found this piece to be quite a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, you really wove a tale with this. Just intricate and lovely. I need to look a little closer at twilight it seems. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "they are the mist-forgers and fog-tamers who bring down the waters of the sky" --- love, love LOVE this!! Wonderful entry, and that 4th sentence just nails it. I hope your wife approves - I love what you've done here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Phil. I didn't know all that about Faeries either but you did a fabulous job teaching me. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are all so kind. Thank you! And yes, Angela, my wife did approve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed this a lot, Phil. Your writing style flows so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's got a beautiful feel to it, like it's being told by a beloved elder...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You all know how to put a smile on my face. Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the first two sentences. It really pulled me into the story you were telling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What I love most about this take is that it combines the modern world with fantasy. It doesn't have to mean fantasy doesn't exist, just that it has had to move to edges of our domination. Love it. Beautiful details and pace. And I've got a thing for little lanterns, so that doesn't hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I now know why I am so fascinated by the rings of trees! There is a bit of magic...of faerie dust in them.

    http://www.thejadedlens.com/2012/06/26/pandemos/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Britton! :) You never know what magic you might uncover in the dark parts of the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the mythology you imbue them with: "they are the mist-forgers and fog-tamers who bring down the waters of the sky." Really nice flow to that bit. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore the elegent flow of this piece; it's lyrical. Expecially the wonder of the fourth sentence!! Excellent :)

    ReplyDelete