Thursday, June 28, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Harvest

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, the chosen word is "Harvest," and this was a hard one for me. I had to think of things that could be harvested... I hope this little foray into sci-fi meets with some approval. I call this one, "I miss them."

***

Nobody believed it when they first arrived, the aliens; and at first they were gentle, benevolent, and downright fatherly--giving advice and helping us with our technological issues, that sort of thing.

But that was just a ruse, a distraction, and when the horrible truth of their real agenda came to light we were not prepared: theirs was a dying species and needed our women to continue their race.

They couldn't honestly take "no" for an answer, the stakes were just too great--so they took without warning and certainly without asking...I can't say that I blame them.

Millions of women were swept up in giant collecting-machines, turned into breeding cattle for a sick race from beyond the stars, against which our vaunted military was powerless.

In short order, there were no women left and just as quickly as they came they were gone; and we were left alone, us men, on a devastated world without the fine grace of the female touch.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! ...and 'that's that' comes to mind! Great piece Phil...so now they'll either die or have to come up with some amazing plan to blaze a trail through space and rescue lost womankind!
    Funny isn't it, despite all the epics movies, I doubt we'd stand a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks for the encouragement and kind words! :)

      If aliens were able to come, somehow they managed to "trick" the laws of physics to allow for interstellar travel, and that means that there is no natural resource on our planet--or even in our entire solar system--that they would need or even find interesting. They could do or make anything they wanted. But what if through the uncounted eons of time, their DNA was the weak link that needed to be fixed. By interbreeding with humans, a form of "hybrid vigor" might save them. That was the idea here. And, indeed, the stakes were too high for us to simply say "no," so they had no choice but to steal and run, knowing that their technological prowess would give them the clean getaway, and we'd still be stranded on this rock.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping all these women are sterile, infertile and barren. Goodbye species. That will teach them a lesson. Do not steal what is not yours. ps: I believe you meant to write 'gentle' instead of 'gentile'...?? Nice work, Phil. Still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes you are correct. Although, technically, I doubt the aliens were Jews, so it also worked...albeit really odd. I will blame lack of sleep on that one. Good catch!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Fantastic story! I hope there is an "Eve" hiding somewhere and waiting to be discovered. LOL! I loved reading this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this! It sounds like a story waiting to be told... who knows, sci-fi might be the next genre you write in.
    I also found this prompt quite challenging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to really, say, Michelle, I might do some SF later...had an idea about a passenger on a spaceship piloted by a fat guy. The ship was called "The Cruller," like the pastry...even know how FTL travel is achieved and everything. All from a one paragraph idea. Maybe I'll post it if I can find it again. :) Thank you for the great support.

      Delete
    2. Heh! I found it! Just for you, here's "The Flight of the Cruller"... Enjoy!

      http://crazyflipperfingers.blogspot.com/2012/07/flight-of-cruller.html

      Delete
  5. Very nice. All too often the alien invaders are portrayed as locust-like races, consuming resources and moving on, so I really like the idea that this is a dying race just trying to keep themselves going. Also the idea of the barren world left behind is interesting. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured the aliens, were they to come, would not need anything we have except our raw DNA. That would be easier to steal than to make...especially since they learned of us...all that "don't reinvent the wheel" sort of thing.

      Delete
  6. Awesome! I liked that it was something a little different than anything I've read by you. Proves you can do it all :) Really interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know if I can do it all, but I do have a bit of fun. :) Thank you for the support!

      Delete
  7. As a woman, I have to LOVE this post, and I have to particularly love that a brave man could write it. Nice Job Phil!

    http://www.thejadedlens.com/2012/07/04/just-weeds/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave? Me? No, just a guy, but thank you for the kindness! :)

      Delete