Thursday, June 7, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Lost

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week it's all about the word "Lost." How can one be lost? What can be lost? What does it mean to be lost? There are just as many possible answers to this as there are people who can be asked. This entry is mine... I hope you like it.

***

The last proctector of his once-mighty king inched forward through the battle.

Clad in black, two enemy knights approach in staggered steps and leaps.

Swords held high while taunts and fears engage -- the swing and clash of mental steel resonate as foes collide.

A pause, that brief interlude in the pain of war is welcome; yet the enemy does not press the attack, but why?

He turns to see his king is toppled: the pawn stands alone.

22 comments:

  1. Nice twist and a great interpretation of the prompt. I was back in the middle ages there for a moment until suddenly looking a a nearly empty black and white checkered game board. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! An unexpected end and so wonderfully created! Excellent, yet again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! I'm glad you like my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great anthropomorphism of the chess board, Phil. Love the ending realization of checkmate.

    Cara

    http://www.caramichaels.com/defiantlyliterate/2012/06/07/fivesentencefiction-060712-lost/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done. Love a piece that requires me to think about it. Here is mine. http://jemcogdell.blogspot.com/2012/06/fsf-lost-and-found.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I see the staggered steps and leaps now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "the swing and slash of mental steel" - I love this line!

    Your lines immediately transported me to the scene, where, sword in hand, I was ready to defend my King!

    If you are blog-hopping, my submission is here: http://www.thejadedlens.com/2012/06/08/francesca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to quote you correctly....clash, not slash!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An entire medieval battle was unfolding before my eyes, and then you 'threw a spanner in the works'... checkmate!
    Great job!
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/f-s-f-lost/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful finale! A great FSF post, we want more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your very kind approval. I really enjoy FSF and hope to continue for a long time with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You said a lot with your sentences. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative! I too was lost in the theme of the Middle Ages, but was stunned to realize I was in a game of chess. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I had images of dark Knights in England of old . . . a battle lost and the lives of many . . . and then the ending. Excellent! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun ending, Phillip. I was getting all medieval about this and then, bam! I end up on a chess board!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me engrossed in the medieval battle, then the surprise twist at the end. How clever. Here's mine:
    www.triplemoonstar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the twist at the end! I was right there on the battlefield until the last line!

    ReplyDelete