Thursday, August 30, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Faces

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, the chosen word is "Faces," and this made me instantly think of the Door's song, but I twisted it a little. Enjoy.

***

Linda hated the rain because that's when she saw them from the corners of her eyes, contorted, looking nothing human at all.

Glaring, watching, following everywhere she went -- on the train, riding the busses, walking menacingly as she swept by them in the taxi -- nameless, distorted, inhuman things.

Oh, they looked like people to the outside world, but she knew they were not, she wasn't fooled by their masks; she had seen them before as a small child, and many times since, and each time it was before a horrendous event, and always in the rain.

Were they angels, demons, or something other?

She didn't know, she didn't want to know; she just knew something dreadful was about to happen, then they'd go away -- like always -- taking the rain with them.

16 comments:

  1. Oooh the things we see from the corners of our eyes! Mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some things that man was never meant to know. ;)

      Delete
  2. I really like the mystery in these sentences! Lots of fun for my imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder what's in the corners we don't (or can't) see. Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  3. My goodness - a wonderfully small location to find such upset and perhaps terror. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great piece of writing.
    It makes you wonder about those images you see from the corner of your eye - reality or imagination?
    Loved the last line and the idea that when they had done their terrible deed they would depart and take the rain with them. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really have fun with these, and it makes me happy when someone other than me thinks it's good. :)

      Delete
  5. Such an interesting piece. Leaves me wondering if these "demons" are real, or exist only in your heroine's own tormented mind. Works beautifully either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I have no idea if they're real or not...I didn't explore it much...it was just the idea alone that I found interesting.

      Delete
  6. Talk about having good cause to dread rainy weather! I really enjoyed this, Phil. I love the ambiguity, that you leave it up to our imaginations to decide whether Linda is hallucinating or experiencing a blurry view of the otherworld. Either way, her dread is real and it comes through loud and clear. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely my kind of thing :) Great flow and rhythm, captures a sense of mystery and foreboding nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of a client who described something similar when she became psychotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an interesting take on things. Imagined horror...

      Delete