Thursday, September 6, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Memories

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, the chosen word is "Memories." Those that remember the greatest times are often our elders, a generation that knew war first-hand; their scars are a roadmap in time.

***

The scars on my body remind me: each one is locked to time and place.

I know where each one was received, and if it was earned...or not.

Though I am old now, and my mind falters, I see them and remember those precious moments as if they were fresh.

I smile and tell my grandchildren of the days when my hair wasn't white, my knees were unbowed, and when my spine and my motives were far more straight -- ancient days, it must now seem, when the whole world was at war.

Through my wounds, I relive the sorrow, the horror, and the pain -- as well as the laughter and loves -- with gladness; and even though the battles I won are behind me, and the struggle against time I cannot win, I am content with simply having fought.

10 comments:

  1. I adore the phrase '...when my spine and my motives were far more straight...'.
    I really like how you've used the scars of life to recount his history, so much changes physically as we grow old, but scars will always remain. Loved it Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A strong evocation, of times passed, and of a very different world, and of courage - a beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is magnificent. You really captured the heart of a veteran with worlds within worlds inside him. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lisa! That was my favorite line!! This is a perfectly captured glimpse; love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that line too but I think my favourite is the last line - contentment is something most people struggle with. How wonderful must it be to be at peace with all you have achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete