Thursday, September 20, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Zombie

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, the chosen word is "Zombie." The first thing that immediately comes to mind for me when hearing this word is, of course, the supernatural, animated corpse from popular literature and movies; but that is a bit worn thin for my tastes, and thinking back beyond that veil I came to recall a song by "The Cranberries," which is also titled "Zombie." It is this that inspired my entry today. And, as sad as it is, I hope you enjoy it.

***

They fight the same war their fathers fought, yet they have forgotten the reasons why.

Was it for freedom, that beautiful dream that stirs in the hearts of every man; or was it for fouler aspirations?

They didn't know, nor could they ever ask: lost to time were the voices of reason, forever snuffed out like a candle when war demanded yet another sacrifice.

But fight on they do, controlled by unseen hands that urge them forward in remorseless hunger for damnation, carnage, and the desolation of souls.

Zombies they are, but not undead; rather pawns in a game in which neither side can win.

14 comments:

  1. I couldn't wait to see what you would do with this prompt. Great job! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horror by any other name ... I didn't know the song so I looked it up and I'm listening to it now.

    'Zombies they are, but not undead' - an incredibly poignant use of the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, for the kind words. I hope you enjoyed the song as well. War is horror of the worst kind. Though I am not a prayerful man, my ardent wish is for all the wars that have been to be the last; however, it never becomes so.

      Delete
  3. Phil, this is wonderful. What a perfect description of the war mongers who send our children into senseless battles while lining their pockets with money from the defense industry.

    Quite brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I credit "The Cranberries" for the true inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Great post and great song!
    Cheers,

    W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having been exposed to war on many levels for a very long time, I congratulate you on the way you've made something so powerful out of this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully poignant take on Zombies. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete