Wednesday, September 12, 2012

New story idea

Ok, so, for the last few days I've been doing something "new," that is to say "new to me": outlining a story. It's something I know some authors do and I figured I'd give it a whirl. While I'm fleshing out the end of MINIMAL, I thought I'd get down on paper the ideas and major points I needed to express for an upcoming story. It's working pretty well so far, and I am happy to report that I will actually work on this idea when I can.

It's also significant because I'm hoping to wrap up the tale in 20 chapters; and if you know anything about how I write, that's a tall order. See, I like little digest chapters -- around 1000 words or so -- and that means stories like Memories of the Dead clock in at over 40 chapters...which can be unwieldy at times. With this new idea forming up, 20 seemed like a do-able goal -- write the thing and have it all neatly resolved in no more than 20 chapters, and don't care about chapter length to do it.

The thing is, each chapter still must represent a cohesive scene of the story and (hopefully) have a bit of a cliff-hanger at the end...enough of one, I hope, that the reader keeps reading. That's the goal, anyway.

Can I pull it off? I mean, right now, I'm outlining chapter 12. Eight more to 20, and then...what? What if I can't do it in 20? What if it needs, say, 25? Well, the story goes where the story goes and takes as long as it needs to get there. I'd *like* it to be done in 20, but honestly...no idea.

I hope people will like it when it's ready for submission/consumption. Only time will tell. No, no details are forthcoming at the moment. I want to leave you with just the tentative title for the time being: Spin.

Let's see if anyone will care later.

No comments:

Post a Comment