Thursday, October 11, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Detour

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Detour," and this is what I came up with.

***

The man walked the silent, dusty back roads of Michigan with purpose.

Having left the paved roads of the city behind, he treaded heavily into unknown country -- his former life left in a trail of dust.

Friends, family, job -- all gone -- he stomped heavy-booted into a new direction, a new beginning, a new life.

Never for a moment did he consider returning, changing the direction he feet pointed, and reclaiming the rugged refuse of his old existence.

He couldn't, he mustn't; because to go back, that unthinkable demise of character, would mean the surrender of his dreams, which is the truest sign of a coward.

12 comments:

  1. I am impressed by his sense of purpose; his sense of conviction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice air of mystery, great setting of mood - I could almost feel the rising dust of those dusty back roads tickling my throat. Great job on that one, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering why he left too.. Nice piece.

    Cheers,
    W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps some day I will revisit it and see why he left... Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  4. I wonder what made him so determined to finally follow his dreams and why it meant leaving everything behind - lots of questions left unanswered and yet a whole story in itself. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, I don't know yet. Given more time to play in this scenario, who know's what the reason was. It could be he was running from the mob, or failed marriage, or something sinister.

      Delete
  5. To me, this conveyed the sense of not walking away from something, but walking toward something. A detour of his own making. That takes courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the point! :) Thank you, Jayne!

      Delete
  6. The greatest of respect to someone who can make such big changes and not look back! I hate change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty adverse to change, myself. :)

      Delete