Thursday, October 18, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Flawed

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Flawed," and I wax poetic on a strange topic.

***

Life, that mad spasm that disturbs the dream of Death, is a broken ideal.

The process of existing is arduous, mistaken, coarse, and ripe with folly.

The Powers-That-Be should not have granted Life its horrorshow-time on the Universal stage; instead, they should have given no pause to thoughts of it, and consigned it to the ever-lasting flame of oblivion.

Yet, remain it does; and Life finds a way -- as always -- to bring forth its fruited foolishness again and again, and to drive back the native dark with a spark kindled in the very heart of all things.

We, Life's inept children, are the heirs to mistakes of fortune on a very grand scale; we are the innately broken that contemplate the broken nature that allows its own existence.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. It's like Gerard Manley Hopkins in collaboration with Allen Ginsberg. And I mean that in the best possible way.

    "Horroshow?" Is that like "horrorshow" from A Clockwork Orange?

    This is such a beautifully constructed, powerful and and rhythmic creation that I (almost) hate to cavil on a fine point of grammar, but in the last line "contemplates" should be "contemplate." Unless you have conceived "the innately broken" as a singular collective. But I would argue that that seems to strained.

    Beyond that, I have no clear idea what the last phrase actually means, but I love it.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minor typos fixed. Sorry about that. ;)

      Delete
  2. Life is tenacious. Life is precious. Life is the light in an otherwise dark existence. I love your imagery but your pretense seems flawed, which is of course in itself exactly what this week's prompt is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all my little trifles work 100%... At least the imagery was decent. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. A sombre tale of the ultimate flawlessness: imperfection makes eternity works! Nice piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had my full attention from the first sentence! Very interesting inspection of Life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that we are flawed...perfection would be hard work, and ultimately very uninteresting! Great piece Phil, gorgeous words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked 'The process of existing is arduous, mistaken, coarse, and ripe with folly.'and thought it had a really nice flow to the whole piece. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it had great flow and imagery - it also made me slow down and think which is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I can surprise...just a little, just a little. I'm glad you liked it, Sarah!

      Delete