Thursday, November 1, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Candidate

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Candidate," which is appropriate for this time of year, but I chose to go a non-political path. Enjoy.

***
Of all of them in the room, he needed to choose wisely; then, from across the room, he saw her.

Downing his drink, he mustered the courage to walk toward her table -- a lifetime away, past the gawkers and schmoozers drowning in booze.

She played coy, flipping her long hair to the side with her fingers.

When their gaze finally met: "Hello," he said, "can I buy you a drink?"

She smiled welcomingly; he had chosen well.

17 comments:

  1. A good, non-political take.

    Mine kind of combines the political and the non-political: http://wp.me/p24aJS-4n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogspot always has to be weird.

      "Fulmoj" is the name of my BLOG, not MY name. My name is LupusAnthropos.

      At least this is one of the few blogspot blogs I've visited where I could actually reply with the WordPress option. Usually, if a blogspot blogger doesn't allow the "Name/URL" option, the WordPress option won't work at all and I never get the opportunity to leave a comment.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if she actually played him? Short and entertaining piece, effectively written. Kudos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, even I don't know! Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. If she flipped her hair to the side and smiled, she liked you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple! A lovely tale, for a few minutes I was there, anxious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. But what did he have in mind? Romance, or something more sinister? I tend to write horror, you see...

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know....I'd have to dwell upon that more.

      Delete
  6. Simple, but so much weighing in the decision, could be life changing or just momentary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, an intriguing tale that just might lead to a wonderful story of what happens when two paths cross. This was really nicely written, I could easily visualize the scene.

    ReplyDelete