Thursday, November 8, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Character

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Character," and I don't know where this came from, it just sort of popped out. It's far more poetic than I had thought, a happy accident. Enjoy.

***

Character is what a person has when you strip away forced charisma and the bright lights of an audience.

Beneath the skin is where it resides, inside the soul.

It is an innate thing that one either possesses or does not--it cannot be taught, bought, or stolen.

The measure of a man is more than his span.

Character is what a man displays when nobody is watching.

16 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Character is most important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line ' character is what a man displays when nobody is watching'....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, perhaps, when just the right person is watching.

    Well done.

    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this take, Phil. Beautifully expressed. As an aside,it should be printed out and hung on the wall of every politician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that happened, they'd just take credit for it. Thanks, Jayne!

      Delete
  5. I really like what you've done in this FSF, and I love poetry in all forms, I just wish I was better at it myself.

    If I may, the line: 'The measure of a man is more than his span.' in some ways seems at odds with the rest of the piece, only due to the fact it is the only line that rhymes. If somehow you could rework that single line, but keeping the essence of what it is saying, then you will have a brilliant piece. Only my humble opinion, as a suggestion - it's still a really good piece of writing, sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your last line, that's how I would describe 'integrity' too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Phil, it's a beautiful piece. It reminds me of the following quote but different. Conveying similar sentiment:

    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen that quote before, now I fell as if I plagarized it. Unfortunate. Thank you for pointing it out.

      Delete