Thursday, December 27, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Ending

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Ending," which is sometimes the best place to begin a story, and I can't think of a worse one...

***

A beginning and an ending are really the same, all that matters is that one leads into the other.

My origin is quite different than that which I have become, even though I remain the same me: I am how I was created.

I refused to bow, so I am cast down -- pride was my undoing -- yet the kernel of it was within me from my first moments.

Should I be blamed for the faults held within that I did nothing to engender; or for that matter, even asked for?

I think not; which is why the blame for my defiance, for my pride, for the sufferings of all, must lie, and indeed does lay, with Him.

18 comments:

  1. Yessss.... it has to be Him!! A smashing twist on this prompt :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So instead of "The Devil made me do it,' it was God?

    But, then, I yam what I yam, so why not.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naturally, see in the Bible it says that God is the source of all calamity and evil...he's just using the Devil. Everyone needs a patsy.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're after a bit of a 'nature verses nurture' debate? Interesting bit of philosophy Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a weird guy... The stories strike and I write them down. Sometimes, I'm not sure the path I'm on until I get there.

      Delete
  4. I love your opening sentence and just had to read on. You have definitely created a piece of writing that can be picked apart and discussed. Love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, and I hope that it withstands the scrutiny. My biggest worry...and I'm still not sure if it's right...is the "lie" and "lay" use at the end. I know I got the point across, but I still waver on if the grammar was 100%... Thanks you, Lizzie!

      Delete
  5. Indeed we are what we are... what matters is what we do with that, man is certainly dual-natured. We can pick and choose which parts of us we want to promote! Great thought-provoking piece here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. I enjoy thought-provoking pieces. Regarding the lie/lay issue, I'd suggest that lie would be appropriate - lay is the past tense. I've heard lay used in this context and I've used it this way myself but I'm also not sure that it's correct usage. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting take on the prompt Phil.
    At the end who will be to blame for all our pride & sufferings of others - will it be each of us as individuals or Him? As He will be the judge I'm not sure of the verdict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on a few variables, naturally. But a rigged game seems almost likely.

      Delete
  8. Such wonderful language throughout. I always adore the way you weave words together so eloquently!!! This piece definitely could be discussed at length :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adore? Thank you, Lillie! Thank you very much!

      Delete