Thursday, December 6, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction – Time

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Time," which is something we all wish we had more of; while others have all too much.

***

The horrid slam of the jail cell door was proof positive that his foolproof plan was anything but.

Sixteen years was the sentence; not at all as long as it could have been...he was lucky.

Sitting there, with the orange jump-suit clinging to his portly frame, he pondered where he might have gone wrong.

He couldn't put his finger on it, his mind too busy -- still racing with facts and testimony from his all too short trial -- but soon enough, he wagered, he would puzzle it out.

And if not today, then perhaps tomorrow, or maybe the day after, it didn't matter; with nothing else to occupy him, he had plenty opportunity to ponder and plan.

12 comments:

  1. I had this thought while working a Sudoku - what if I were in prison until I finished it?

    Could be a life sentence.

    Nice take on the prompt.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I wonder if he'll perfect his plan and try again when he gets out. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, too. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.... lol

      Delete
  3. Terrible thought! Please let me out! A jolly good post, but dislike ornage in this context ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard time, a great take on the prompt and very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you played with time in this, the whole scene had a rushed feeling as his mind tried to recall everything from his trial...then it stretched (pun intended!) into sixteen years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read this I was thinking the plan that failed was the trial as opposed to the crime, you have to write more so I can find out, right? Great piece.

    ReplyDelete