Thursday, January 3, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction – Midnight

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Midnight," a magical hour if ever there was one...

***

Do you know what it's like to die?

Few live through the experience to tell about it; but I do, for every night, at the stroke of twelve, I perish and am reborn.

Like a human phoenix I rise from my own ashes refreshed, renewed, and young.

However eternity has a price, and after centuries of this nightly rebirth I grow weary.

But there must always be a Justicar, so I seek the one who will take my place, so that I might know real rest.

12 comments:

  1. You may be inventing a new mythology.

    And you taught me a new word.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazz, if I invent anything truly new, it would shock me as well as anyone else. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Centuries is a long time to be dying every night.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'd get mighty tired of it, too! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Very nice - what an intriguing idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great beginning, would like to know more about the Justicar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very intriguing indeed! Yes, I would rather think immortality would be exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially every night! Thanks, Jayne!

      Delete
  6. This demands a much longer story Phil! Beautifully begun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I've been thinking about just that... ;)

      Thanks, Lisa!

      Delete