Thursday, January 24, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction – Ringing

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea:
Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week, Lillie chose the word "Ringing," and there are lots of things that can ring. I wonder what it was she said?...

***

Her words shattered my psyche with a hammer's blow.

Standing in awe, agape, my mind reeled at the truth as she spoke it.

My mind could not process the raw emotion as it flooded my veins.

Growing hot, my ears burned; my mind, once clear, was now sullied.

I grasped for words--anything at all--that could be used to counter, but there were none.

16 comments:

  1. This reads like poetry. Exciting use of words here.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever it was she had to say certainly had an effect.
    A great use of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from the Five Sentence Fiction story hop! I agree with Alice, this blurb is definitely poetic and rich with imagery. I especially like the last two sentences: "Growing hot, my ears burned; my mind, once clear, was now sullied.

    I grasped for words--anything at all--that could be used to counter, but there were none."

    On their own, they'd make a wonderful poem of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a powerful scene you've set here. I've been in a similar situation and it felt just as you described. Excellent writing Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done, as always. I really enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy my little ditties. I have fun putting them up. :)

      Delete
  6. That totally powerless feeling when there ARE no words ... horrible!

    Great use of the prompt as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the acid tongue has no equal and whatever she said has destroyed him completely;truth is hard.Beautifully done. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really did capture that moment when someone else's words have knocked the words right out of you.

    ReplyDelete