Thursday, May 2, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction – Festival

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.


This week, Lillie chose the word "Festival," and some forms of fun are anything but.
***
Not all the torments in the Abyss take the form of physical suffering.
In Hell's Carnival there is no mirth, only the numbing pain of loss.
No ride thrills, no game pleases, and there is no life in the hollow faces of the clowns.
Neither pain nor suffering, neither laughter nor joy; and where there ought to be warmth there is just cold, emotionless nothing.
You can pass the time there if you choose, for to be condemned to Hell one must first seek it within their own heart, but if you are sane you would be well away from the lure of its false, hopeless light.

16 comments:

  1. Interesting take on the bright covering over a sad reality of nothingness, and how we tend to choose our own hells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We create our own hell and choose to languish in it. Thanks for writing!

      Delete
    2. Could not agree more, Phil. An excellent expression of this reality.

      Delete
  2. I was hoping hell was worse than that but your writing truly speaks to me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, indeed. Hell can be very much worse. But think of it...physical pain can be just so much, but take away the source of our very humanity... so much more terrible to endure.

      Delete
  3. Interesting take on the prompt. I always enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachael. I was in a funky mood yesterday when I wrote that. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. I think an eternity spent without emotion sounds like a good approximation of hell. I hope I don't ever have to suffer it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very wise, well written, poetic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eerie... Gave me chills, deep. http://www.jeanswriting.com/2013/05/lover-of-wine.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. I am sure the pit of hell is a squeaky, herky jerky carnival ride worth avoiding at all cost. I got a little Hotel Californina shiver from that as well.. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy. I don't know where the idea came from, I just went with it.

      Delete