Thursday, June 20, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction – Blades

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.


This week, Lillie chose the word "Blades." I like the kind that flash in the light and have a keen edge.
*** 
Four blades of steel clashed and clanged together as one man--one good man--stood against three who, with their honor tucked between their legs like the tail of a scorned dog, fought in service to a false lord on a throne made of lies.
Their skill was no match for his, for he had studied with masters long since ejected from the kingdom; and so, quickly, only one remained, and this last guard trembled in fear for his very life.
"Shall I tell you the secret to swordplay?" he quipped with a smile.
But there came no reply as the coward dropped his weapon and ran.
The good man could only laugh as he saw the soiled backside of his enemy fade from view.

 

9 comments:

  1. Ah-ha! Caught you not editing again!

    Anyway, nice story! When I read it I pictured one of those old Three Musketeers movies. (Why were they musketeers if they were always using swords?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I'm planning, if I get the time, to do some real editing this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous imagery. I love the first sentence and the way you used 'honor'. I too am picturing Oliver Reed and Co as the musketeers because of the wit. x


    http://40somethingundomesticateddevil.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/five-sentence-fiction-blades.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! The imagery is wonderful and I can see the story play in my mind.

    Barbara @ www.allmylivesnow.com

    ReplyDelete