Thursday, September 12, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction – Flowers

The Five Sentence Fiction is a simple idea: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.


This week, Lillie chose the word "Flowers," something I don't have much to do with.
***
 I only visit mother's grave once in a blue moon, it's just too hard otherwise.
I bring flowers, place them at her feet, pray, and talk to her--all that is to be expected of a good son, is it not?
But in my heart, I know it is futile--a meaningless gesture.
Yet still I cry; I don't like coming here.
I don't think I will come back to this plot until I fall.

10 comments:

  1. Such a sad thing to go though. Pretty good story otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see my father's urn whenever I go to visit my mother, which is generally once a week. I don't visit his marker at the cemetery very often, simply because the proximity is inconvenient.
    It's almost three years now, and it's still surreal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah....it's how I feel when I visit my mother's gravesite.

      Delete
  4. Yes, there is something futile in that action. As Jews, we place stones to mark that we have been, to show that the person is not forgotten. I think visiting a grave forces us to remember that the person we think about is actually - gone. A great piece.

    ReplyDelete

  5. It seems flowers evoke sad thoughts in many people. I find that surprising. Still it does make a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...common elements. Must be something about them. Thanks for writing! :)

      Delete